An official opening ceremony is being held today for Nexen Tire’s new tyre factory in Žatec, Czech Republic. Numerous dignitaries have attended the event, including Petr Očko, the country’s Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Travis Kang, Nexen Tire’s global chief executive officer, and Byung-Joong Kang, the company’s chairman.
Last season’s engagement with ‘domestic treble’ winner Manchester City F.C. gave Nexen Tire abundant exposure. The tyre maker returns again in 2019/20 as an Official Partner, its fifth season with the club and its third as Sleeve Partner. The current season got underway with a 5-0 win against West Ham last Saturday.
Nexen Tire has a new R&D hub – the Nexen Central Research Institute, or Nexen univerCITY. Located in the Magok Industrial Complex in Seoul, South Korea, the 57,000 square metre facility will act as a research and development hub for Nexen Tire’s centres in the USA, Europe and China. More than 300 people attended an official opening ceremony for the Nexen univerCITY late last month.
Upon kicking off its sponsorship of Manchester City FC for 2018/19, Nexen Tire states that it plans to continue utilising its relationship with last season’s Premier League champion throughout the game season to “expand its global loyal fan-base by increasing touchpoints for customers to directly engage and experience the Nexen Tire brand.” As was the case in 2017/18, Nexen will continue as official sleeve partner.
Victory in the all-season tyre test carried out by several European motoring organisations is, says Nexen Tire, proof of the superiority of its N’Blue 4 Season. The Nexen rubber was ranked first in the test of nine 175/65R14 T/H tyres thanks to its good performance in wet and icy conditions.
Nexen Tire is revelling in Manchester City FC’s Premier League success. Travis Kang, chief executive officer of Nexen Tire, states that as official tyre partner, Nexen is “thrilled” with Manchester City’s confirmation as Premier League champion.
A second Porsche original equipment deal for Nexen Tire: Following last year’s approval of the Nexen N’Fera RU1 for factory fitment on the Cayenne, the tyre has now been given the green light for Porsche’s compact luxury SUV, the Macan. The N’Fera RU1 will be supplied for the Macan in sizes 235/55R19 101Y and 255/50R19 103Y.
Kawaii!! Next summer, Japanese consumers will – should they wish – be able to buy Hello Kitty tyres for their cars. This too cute for words opportunity comes thanks to a collaboration between Sanrio and Nexen Tire Japan. The tyres will feature the Hello Kitty logo and name on the sidewall – in pink. A tyre featuring Cinnamoroll, a long-eared white flying puppy whose tail resembles a cinnamon roll, will also be available and will presumably by met by an eager market.
Abu Dhabi-based investor Mubadala Investment Company has Nexen Tire on its radar, and this has led to the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the two firms. According to Nexen Tire, the agreement its chief executive officer Travis (Ho-chan) Kang formalised yesterday with Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak, Mubadala’s managing director and group chief executive officer, sets out ways and means for both parties to “explore strategic partnership opportunities.” Mubadala has directly invested into Nexen as part of the agreement, however so far the tyre maker hasn’t disclosed the extent of this investment.
Travis (Ho-chan) Kang, chief executive officer of Nexen Tire, has taken part in the official inauguration of a new joint venture company set up to sell the Nexen and Roadstone tyre brands in Japan. The joint venture is called Nexen Tire Japan Inc. and is 51 per cent owned by Nexen Tire, with Toyota Tsusho Corporation, the Toyota Group’s trading arm, holding the remaining 49 per cent share.
Travis Kang, president of Nexen Tire and son of company chairman Byung-Joong Kang, has taken on the additional role of chief executive officer. He succeeds Lee Hyun-Bong, who had held the position since 2010. Kang junior’s assumption of this second senior office was confirmed at the Nexen Tire annual shareholders’ meeting, which took place on 17 February.