The newest car engines by Mercedes require a very special oil. The new Top Tec 6300 0W-20 by Liqui Moly is one of the first oils to be officially approved by Mercedes for them. “This is a double leap in development – both for the engine technology of Mercedes and for our oil technology,” says Oliver Kuhn, deputy manager of the liqui moly oil laboratory.
Making headway in key overseas markets, increased interest at home and totally new opportunities were all evident to Mark Water Pumps Ltd from its stand at the recent Automechanika exhibition in Frankfurt.
Falken has expanded the size range of the Eurowinter HS01 winter tyre in both passenger car and SUV versions. From a previous range of 66 sizes, 99 sizes are now available in the Eurowinter HS01 tyre, spanning the most popular applications. The SUV model, the Eurowinter HS01 SUV, is now available in 39 different sizes. The expansion to the range coincides with Auto Bild’s top-ten verdict and overall rating of ‘Good’ for the tyre in its 2018 winter tyre test.
In 2016, Cooper Tire & Rubber invested some US$93 million to acquire a 65 per cent shareholding in Qingdao Ge Rui Da Rubber Co., Ltd (GRT). The remaining 35 per cent share in the China-based truck and bus radial manufacturing operation was retained by Qingdao Yiyuan Investment Co., Ltd. (QYI), however QYI is now selling its stake in the business. Sailun Jinyu Group Co., Ltd. has signed a share transfer agreement with QYI to acquire its 35 per cent interest in GRT for RMB 220 million (£24.4 million, US$32.0 million), subject to government approval.
For its 2018 winter tyre test, German vehicle inspection organisation GTÜ evaluated nine winter tyres together with German motoring organisation ACE and Austrian counterpart ARBÖ. For good measure, it also tested three all-season tyres alongside the winter rubber. The result? An all-season tyre took second place in the winter test.
Pinpointing precisely where a winter tyre comes into contact with an icy road surface is surprisingly difficult. Yokohama Rubber partnered with Kanazawa University in Japan to identify this oft-allusive point of contact, and in a statement reports the development of an “evaluation technology that visualises rubber’s frictional state of contact on an icy surface.” Yokohama Rubber expects this evaluation technology to ultimately result in cold weather tyres with dramatically improved ice performance.
The first tyre for cars and SUVs from Giti Tire’s eponymous brand is now available in the UK, in a strictly limited series of 10 GitiSportS1 sizes, split equally between the original UHP tyre, launched in 2016, and the SUV version, unveiled in June 2018. The 10 sizes, which have no current equivalent in the manufacturer’s GT Radial range, are distributed by Micheldever Tyre Services, though the wholesaler has no exclusive agreement on Giti brand products.
Shandong Linglong Tire’s plans to set up a tyre factory in Serbia gained a further boost on 17 September with the finalisation of an investment framework agreement with the country’s Ministry of Finance. The document was signed by Linglong chairman Wang Feng and Siniša Mali, Serbia’s Minister of Finance, at a ceremony in Beijing also attended by Aleksandar Vučić, President of Serbia.
Marangoni Tread Latino America has been accredited with INMETRO certification for its RingTread and Unitread pre-cure retreading materials production. Certification came after an independent assessment of Marangoni’s production plant in Brazil by Instituto Falcão Bauer, an accredited certification body in Brazil.