European firms stand out in Pirelli 2014 Supplier Awards
On 17 April Pirelli handed out its 2014 Supplier Awards to nine companies. This year the winners are made up of a strongly European contingent. According to the company the supplier awards are intended with to convey the importance which Pirelli attaches to its premium suppliers.
The third year of the annual Supplier Awards rewarded nine international companies – eight of whom are from Europe – all of which are said to have distinguished themselves throughout 2013. Pirelli reports that it chose the winners using objective criteria, including “sustainability, quality, level of service and innovation”. Pirelli says it pays particular attention to the collaboration with its suppliers, who are considered to be fundamental business partners to the company’s global strategy, which is increasingly focussed on the premium sector.
The winning suppliers come from a wide range of backgrounds, from producers of natural rubber to companies that specialise in staff training. The amounts invoiced by the winning suppliers also varies considerably – from half a million to 70 million euros.
Pirelli’s Chief Purchasing Officer, Luigi Staccoli, commented: “There is a strong European presence among our winners this year. These winning companies have all been able to offer quality and innovation with their products and services, in the midst of an extremely competitive international market.”
“As well as our traditional suppliers of primary materials, we have rewarded companies that specialise in staff training and software,” continued Staccoli. “This underlines the fact that a huge variety of different people are involved in the success of our company, contributing in particular to the process of ‘decomplexity’. In keeping with recent tradition, we were delighted to invite our winners to the Vizzola test track so that they could try out some of the tyres that they have all played a part in creating.”
Pirelli’s purchasing department is made up of 135 specialists based all over the world, 40 of whom work in Pirelli’s Milan headquarters. Every year, these people all choose and manage 12,000 suppliers, selecting them on the grounds of security, innovation, quality, sustainability, risk management, and efficiency within the supply chain.
Supplier Awards 2014 winners
- PT KIRANA MEGATARA from Indonesia, provides natural rubber (raw materials)
- STYRON from Germany, provides synthetic rubber (raw materials)
- SYNTHOS from Poland, provides synthetic rubber (raw materials)
- TEIJIN from Holland, provides textiles (raw materials)
- CORE CONSULTING from Italy, provides personnel consultancy/training (goods and services)
- HYLASOFT from Italy, provides IT (goods and services)
- NURUN from Italy, provides media and digital marketing (goods and services)
- HOFFMANN GROUP from Germany, provides MRO/tools (industrial equipment)
- COMERIO ERCOLE from Italy, provides tooling (industrial equipment)