Top 10 excuses for not buying a tax disc
A motorist who claimed to have taken so much Viagra he could not leave the house was just one of a number of excuses from people who failed to tax their car.
According to information released by DVLA, motorists caught for not having a tax disc last year used a variety of excuses, which included "My mate said that if the cost of the tax is more than what the car's worth you haven't got to pay it."
One motorist claimed to have fallen out of a tree while fruit picking and broke both arms so they could not fill in the necessary forms, while one motorist even blamed their mobile phone.
Carolyn Williams, DVLA’s Head of Digital Services, said: “The vast majority of people tax their car on time but it amazes me to see the excuses people come up with. It is easier than ever before for people to tax their car and our digital services are designed to be used any time of day or night to fit in with people’s lifestyles – so there really is no need for silly excuses.”
The 10 silliest excuses:
1. My accountant told me I’m due a tax rebate so I didn’t think I needed to pay again this year.
2. I was on my way to the Post Office to tax the car and called into the betting shop – there was a horse running at Doncaster called ‘Don’t Do It’ so I bet on that with my car tax money instead – it lost.
3. My mate said that if the cost of the tax is more than what the car is worth you haven’t got to pay it – it’s not, so I didn’t.
4. I fell out of a tree picking plums and broke both my arms.
5. I took too much Viagra and couldn’t leave the house.
6. I’d forgotten the motorbike was in my garage – it was hidden behind the BBQ so it’s not my fault.
7. I had man flu and couldn’t go to the Post Office.
8. I’ve been out of the country for four months and I forgot where I parked my car.
9. My dog ate the reminder.
10. My reminder on my phone didn’t work so it’s not my fault.