Kingpin Tyre Fire Expected To Burn All Week
Fire crews have been tackling flames, thick smoke and fumes and piles of burning material at the premises of Kingpin Tyre in Wem, Shropshire, since Tuesday. Firefighters said several mounds of “waste rubber,” covering an area of around 60 metres had caught fire. A report in the Whitchurch Herald said that plumes of black smoke could be seen up to 20 miles away as 200 tonnes of rubber went up in smoke and that firefighters expect to battle the blaze and control smouldering material for the best part of a week.
It is understood the fire was spotted by a train driver who was passing on a nearby track and he alerted the fire brigade at 4.45am.
The area affected by the blaze is around 100ft long by 70ft high, and firefighters have had the added problem of chemicals from the rubber igniting in the smoke.
A Shropshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson quoted in the Whitchurch Herald described the fire as ‘very dense’, adding that more than a mile of hose reel has had to be used because the area is so isolated.
She added: “What’s actually burning is not the tyres, it is shredded rubber which has been taken off the tyres.” Nearby residents are being advised to keep doors and windows closed, although the fumes are not believed to be toxic.
West Mercia Police spokesman Richard Ewels said: ” Police are assisting the fire service at the scene, by directing traffic. The cause of the fire is yet unknown, a special fire investigation team is at the scene looking into the cause of the blaze.”