Pirelli’s John Nixon Retires
Pirelli UK industrial director, John Nixon, will retire at the end of December after 37 successful years with the company. Having started as a Technical Clerk in 1968 at the company’s Cummersdale factory, Nixon steadily rose through the ranks to become the industrial director, responsible for a 1000 strong workforce. Wolfgang Meier will take over as industrial director.
During his ten years as industrial director, John has implemented many changes in the Carlisle and Burton plants. Responsible for developments such as the factory expansion, and the introduction of new technologies such as the MIRS (Modular Integrated Robotic System) facility in Burton on Trent, Nixon has also overseen other key projects, including the creation of a new warehouse with the capacity for up to 350,000 tyres. More recently he steered Pirelli through a controversial plan to erect a 400-foot high wind turbine to reduce energy costs. The £1.5 million turbine won planning approval despite determined objections from locals.
Pirelli UK managing director, Dominic Sandivasci, spoke appreciatively of John Nixon’s contribution to the business: “John has always demonstrated a passion for excellence and a determination unsurpassed in the Industry. He will surely be missed, but in his replacement we will have Wolfgang Meier who is a proven company executive with an excellent track record and who should be capable of continuing the positive progress achieved by the industrial team.”
John, who is married to Margaret and has two grown up sons, is a passionate Carlisle United supporter and plans to further his links with the Club upon his retirement.
Wolfgang Meier, currently HR & Purchasing director of Pirelli UK, will take over the role of industrial director from John Nixon as of 1st January 2006.